The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a cheese-lover’s dream come true. Cheddar, monterey jack and cream cheese are melted until perfectly gooey in between two pieces of golden brown garlic butter bread. Each bite you crunch through the salty, buttery bread into a sea of decadently melted cheese. It’s the Ultimate Grilled Cheese!
- 4 slices country Italian or sourdough bread
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 oz mild cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 oz monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened or whipped
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter and garlic salt until smooth. Evenly spread it on all four slices of bread on all sides. Starting with the bottom two slices of your sandwiches, spread the softened or whipped cream cheese on the inside of the bottom slices. Then, evenly layer and distribute the cheddar and monterey jack on top of the cream cheese. Top the sandwiches with the top slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place the prepared grilled cheese sandwiches into the skillet and cover with a lid for a couple minutes. Remove the lid after a couple minutes and check the undersides of the sandwiches to make sure they are golden brown before flipping. If they are not golden brown yet, let them cook for a few minutes more, or until golden brown.
- Flip the sandwiches after the first side is golden brown. Gently press the sandwiches down with your spatula after you flip them to smoosh all the cheeses together. Cook until the second side is golden brown and all the cheese is melted, about a few minutes more. If your bread is browning before all your cheese is melted, you can flip it again to prevent the bread from getting too dark. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes