Turkey Sloppy Joes are deliciously comforting and take you straight back to your childhood! Loaded with all the classic sloppy joe flavors, these Turkey Sloppy Joes will have you digging in before you know it! Ground turkey, onion and green bell pepper is simmered together in a finger-licking good sauce. Pile it high on a brioche bun and the end result is a sloppy joe so good you won’t be able to resist! You won’t even mind your sauce-covered smile – it’s what a sloppy joe is all about!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brioche or hamburger buns for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add in the ground turkey and sauté for several minutes until lightly browned.
- Add in the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for a few minutes more. Add in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and mustard and stir to combine.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar and chili powder and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and stir in the butter. Allow to simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve piled on brioche or hamburger buns. Enjoy!
- Ground turkey or lean ground beef can be used for this recipe.
- If your sauce gets too thick, you can loosen it with a tablespoon or so of water.
- You can serve the sloppy joes as is, or add toppings! Some ideas are potato chips, coleslaw or cheese.