Not only is this chili loaded with flavor, warmth and is good for your soul, but it carries a lot of healthy protein from the turkey and black beans and friendly fiber and potassium from the butternut squash. Healthy, delicious chili and snuggles, what more could you possibly need?
- 16 ounces ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 29 oz can tomato sauce
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- (2) 15 oz cans black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- In the bottom of a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the ground turkey and cook until browned, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add both cans of the tomatoes and the butternut squash into the pot. Stir and let simmer on high for 5-8 minutes. Add in the garlic, chili powder, dried basil, cinnamon and black beans. Stir until combined.
- Cover the pot and let simmer on low-medium heat for at least 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with your choice of toppings.
- Pre-cut butternut squash can be used for this recipe for ease.
- The leftovers store wonderfully! Cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes