Welcome to another Monthly Scoop post – May 2022 edition! May was a jam-packed month filled with lots of cooking (and grilling!), birthday celebrations, time out at the farm and movie theatre dates. Let’s jump into what all May had to offer!
The month of May started off with lots of heavy rain, which we don’t mind one bit! I love the coziness that rainy days bring – almost the same feeling as snowy days! The only downside of all the rain: mud! Muddy pastures and arenas kept us from riding for a bit, but that doesn’t mean there was a shortage of horse snuggles! Amos actually had to have a daily medicine to clear up a cough caused by some allergies, so it was nice to make the daily drive out there together to see the boys. We sure do miss them during the week!
We were able to sneak in a few trail rides and walks with the boys which always fills our hearts. Now, I’ve been riding horses since I was about 4 and haven’t fallen off a horse in years, but, by golly, Queso almost got me a couple weeks back! We were out on a trail ride making our way through some tall grass that is waiting to get cut for hay, and a nested turkey flew up right under Queso’s nose and he went straight up and around to run for the hills haha! Thankfully, I stuck the landing, but both stirrups were goners haha!
A big highlight of the month: I finally learned how to drive the skid steer! It’s a big deal haha! There have been so many times where I needed the skid steer to be able to do something, but have to wait or schedule for one of the guys to do it. I’ve got the basics down now! But, I am still learning the in’s and out’s of the more advanced maneuvers, such as fetching and dropping a big round bale in the center of the hay feeder. I’ll get there!
We celebrated both John’s and my Mom’s birthday this past month as well! Funny fact: John’s and my Mom’s birthdays are back to back, and mine and my mother-in-law’s birthdays are back to back! It was meant to be haha!
In short, I had my first discovery surgery in February 2020 with a long removal surgery in June 2020. I had about a year and a half of relief before my symptoms started coming back. Endometriosis is unfortunately an incurable disease, and there’s no guarantee that it won’t return after its been removed. Ideally, they want you to have a longer time period of relief before it returns (if it does).
With the pain and symptoms I’ve been having, they have concerns of it returning. We also haven’t been able to achieve a pregnancy. Wowzers, that’s hard to type! It can be hard to be vulnerable, especially on the internet. But, it has been so amazing how all of you have shown your love, support and prayers. Meeting and chatting with gals who have gone through something similar or who are facing it now not only encourages me, but also helps take the loneliness out of this disease. So very thankful from the bottom of my heart for everyone! ❤️
God is in control and we’re clinging to and embracing the peace and hope that only He gives.
This past month has had a lot of ultrasounds and blood draws. To be honest, I’m still processing through all of it and it’s been hard. Taking it one day at a time. We’re still working through some of the results and looking for answers to some things. We so appreciate everyone’s love and support!
May’s recipes started off with the yearly Marinade Week! Easy weeknight dinners took the main spotlight from there. As always, I strived to create fun, delicious recipes with easily accessible ingredients that you feel comfortable making in your own kitchen. Click on your favorite recipe below and get to cookin’! If you make any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you! Shoot me an email, post a comment or share on social media tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany
- Golden Hour Candle – this is one of my absolute favorite candles and it only comes out during the summertime at Target! Get it while you can!
- Target Joggers – these are hands-down some of my favorite joggers, and they aren’t too heavy for summer!
- Target Glass Set – I started out by grabbing a couple of these glasses as props, but loved them so much I just went ahead and grabbed the whole set! I love how classically timeless they are.
- Ilia Beauty Tinted Lip Balm – I forgot how much I love this stuff! Just the perfect amount of color to add a little something-something. Perfect for date night! I love the color “Runaway.”
- Rusty Taco – we finally tried the Rusty Taco in town and loved it! Our favorites are the Baja Shrimp Taco, the Green Taco and the Rusty Taco.
- Trader Joe’s Carne Asada Burritos – these can be found in the freezer section and are pretty darn good for a frozen burrito! Perfect for the nights where you don’t want to make dinner haha!
- Top Gun: Maverick – we LOVED this movie! Seriously so great and a must-see!
- Downton Abbey: A New Era – same here, such a great movie! Especially if you are a Downton Abbey lifer like our family is.