The Best Basic Banana Bread is the classic banana bread recipe that we all love. This banana bread is decadent, moist and sweet from the ripe bananas. Before baking it away in the oven, I topped it off with crushed walnuts and sugar to create a crunchy, caramelized topping. If you have ripe bananas sitting on your countertop, this is the recipe that you need!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons for topping
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, smash the bananas until smooth. Whisk in the vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking soda and salt until combined and batter has formed. Spray a standard bread pan with cooking spray and pour the banana bread batter into the pan. Evenly top with the chopped walnuts and remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the banana bread is cooked all the way through. Let cool slightly in the pan before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- This banana bread stores wonderfully! Let cool completely prior to storing in an air-tight container or bag. You can even slice it and then bag each slice individually for a great grab-and-go option.
- Whole wheat flour or cup4cup gluten free flour can be used as well.