Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup is a vibrant soup loaded full of flavor! Tender pieces of chicken, spicy red curry paste, cool and sweet coconut milk and fresh vegetables bring this soup to life. Serve the soup over a scoop of white rice for the ultimate meal! Perfect for a weekday dinner, date night or just for a flavorful, comforting bowl of soup.
One of the main things I love about this soup is how vibrant and flavorful it is. Part of that is played by all the wonderful, fresh vegetables added to this soup! Here’s a breakdown of what’s needed:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs – light or dark chicken meat can be used for this recipe. Choose your favorite!
- Olive oil – I always keep extra virgin olive oil on hand for the majority of my cooking purposes. Any light oil can be used here.
- Onion – white onions are my go-to for cooking and sautéing.
- Red bell pepper – not only does the red bell pepper add flavor, but a wonderful pop of red color!
- Garlic – I always keep this chopped garlic on hand for an easy grab-and-go option.
- Red curry paste – this is where the curry heat and flavor comes from! I love that it’s not a sharp, overwhelming heat.
- Cayenne – cayenne pepper adds a punch of heat. If you are sensitive to a little bit of heat, this ingredient can be eliminated.
- Salt – a universal ingredient to always have on hand!
- Coconut milk – grab the unsweetened, full-fat version.
- Chicken stock – the ingredient that makes this soup, well, soupy!
- Mushrooms – baby bella mushrooms or standard white mushrooms can be used for this recipe.
- Cilantro – fresh cilantro brings this soup to life! It adds a wonderful, bright flavor. Plus, a vibrant, green color!
- Green onions – another great ingredient that easily adds flavor and color to this recipe.
Now, I know this may seem like a long ingredient list, but all of the fresh ingredients really is what brings this soup to life and takes it to the next level. Trust me on this one, your tastebuds will be thanking you!
What does this Soup Taste Like?
If you are asking yourself, “What does Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup taste like?” Well, I am going to do my best to describe it to you! Here are the flavor profiles of this soup:
- Heat/Spice – this soup naturally has some heat and spice from the red curry paste and the cayenne pepper, but it isn’t an over-whelming heat! I am personally not someone who can handle spicy food very well, and this soup sits perfectly with me. It’s like a subtle, warm heat that makes you want to take another spoonful.
- Sweet – coconut milk is the culprit for this one! It’s wonderful in all the right ways. The coconut milk adds a subtle sweetness that balances the heat perfectly. A welcomed coolness and creaminess.
- Vibrant – with the addition of all the fresh vegetables and herbs, this soup is vibrant in taste and color!
- Comforting – last but not least, this soup is incredibly comforting. It will warm you from the inside out.
Thai Coconut Curry Soup Flavor Profiles
How to Serve
After this soup has simmered away on the stovetop, it’s time to dig in! I highly recommend serving this soup over a scoop of white rice, my Cilantro Coconut Rice is perfect for this! It really sets it apart and adds even more comfort. Here are some serving ideas:
- With rice – try my Cilantro Coconut Rice for this!
- Topping ideas: cilantro, green onion or lime wedges
- With naan bread – perfect for dunking!
Serve this soup ladled over a scoop of Cilantro Coconut Rice and a side of naan bread for dunking. Top with additional cilantro, green onion or lime wedges as desired.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!