A classic Spinach Artichoke Dip that is creamy, cheesy and loaded full of fresh spinach and chopped artichokes! Serve with chips, crackers or bread for the ultimate appetizer dip recipe.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
- 5–6 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In an oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in onion and sauté for several minutes until translucent, avoiding browning. Add in the chopped garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for another minute more.
- Add in the flour and stir to form a paste. Reduce the heat to low and pour in the heavy cream. Stir to combine and thicken. Add in the cream cheese cubes and sour cream. Stir to combine and melt.
- Add in the chopped artichoke hearts and fresh spinach, working with one or two cups of fresh spinach at a time to wilt it down to get it all in the pan. Turn off the heat and stir until all the spinach is wilted down.
- Evenly top with the shredded cheese and transfer to the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden brown and bubbly. The broiler can also be used to melt and brown the cheese after 20 minutes of baking if the cheese isn’t browning.
- Serve warm with chips, crackers or bread.
- Fresh spinach is highly recommended for this recipe, but frozen spinach can be used if needed. Properly thaw and drain the frozen spinach. Use 16 oz.
- Baking dish method: if you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, make the dip according to instructions, but transfer to a baking dish before topping with cheese and baking.
- Slow cooker method: add all of the ingredients (minus the butter, flour and the 8 oz of shredded cheese for topping – use 1 cup of shredded cheese instead) into a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the dip is melted and gooey.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 691mg
- Fat: 41.4g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 126mg
Keywords: Spinach Artichoke Dip