Creamy, dreamy, with a hint of green, these Sour Cream & Onion Mashed Potatoes take your classic mashed potatoes to the next level.
Velvety gold potatoes are boiled until fork tender and whipped with butter, tangy sour cream, heavy cream, and green onions to create a cloud-like side dish.
I love that this is sort of a traditional Thanksgiving dish…and also sort of like an elevated potato chip.
And speaking of chips, these mashed potatoes double as an amazing dip. Serve with potato chips for a crunchy contrast.
This is a simple side dish that takes next to no time to whip up — so you can spend more time with the people you love this Thanksgiving!
Serve with other dishes from our easy Thanksgiving menu.
Why KJ Loves
Sour Cream & Onion Mashed Potatoes
All the classic flavors of sour cream and onion in mashed potato form…count me in! These mashed potatoes are creamy and dreamy and make for a perfect side dish for any occasion.
Mashed Potato Ingredients
Yukon Gold potatoes
These potatoes give you a creamier result. If you need a substitute, you can try russet potatoes, although the texture will be a bit fluffier and less creamy. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 2-inch pieces.
I used salted butter for this recipe.
Full-fat sour cream tastes the best. It’s the holidays — time to indulge a little!
Green onion (chopped)
You could swap these out and use chives instead.
Salt & pepper
How To Make Sour Cream & Onion Mashed Potatoes
Boil the potatoes.
Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover the tops of the potatoes.
Bring to a boil over high heat, and boil until the potatoes are fork tender (but not crumbly).
Drain and transfer the potatoes back into the pot or a large bowl.
Mix in the other ingredients.
Add in the butter, sour cream, and heavy cream.
Use either a potato masher or an electric mixer to mix the mashed potatoes until smooth or until the potatoes reach the consistency you like.
Fold in the green onion, salt, and pepper.
Transfer the sour cream and green onion mashed potatoes to a serving dish. Garnish with extra pads of butter and additional chopped green onion.
Wash the dishes. How sad.
What To Serve with Sour Cream & Onion Mashed Potatoes
If you’re serving these sour cream mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, here’s a full holiday menu you can use!
- Herbed Turkey Meatballs With Gravy — The aromatic, savory flavors of a holiday turkey without the fuss.
- Easy Cornbread Stuffing — Simple, traditional, and packed with classic herbs and flavors.
- Apple Pecan Salad — A little green for your menu. But you won’t believe how easy it is to turn kale from a health food into a scrumptious holiday side.
- Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie — It’s a cookie. It’s a pie. It’s both, and it’s to die for.
The Archive: Explore Other Thanksgiving Menus
- Thanksgiving 2022 – The theme in 2022 was “twists on classics.” From a buttery, golden brown turkey to a fluffy pumpkin mousse pie, this Thanksgiving Menu will easily impress your friends and family!
- Thanksgiving 2021 – This menu features a simple turkey recipe, a perfectly glazed ham, fresh twists on classic sides, and a warm, cinnamon-speckled apple pie.
- Thanksgiving 2020 – Try this beautiful glazed turkey, vibrant side dishes, and a scrumptious pumpkin dessert.
For more inspiration, see all our Thanksgiving recipe ideas here.
Did you make this recipe?
SHARE THE LOVE
If you made this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures! Thanks for following and cooking along with me.
This post may contain affiliate links, which mean that KJ and Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do.