S’mores Hot Chocolate is the ultimate hot chocolate recipe! All the classic flavors of a s’mores in a glass. Chocolate and cocoa powder swirl into warm milk flavored with almond and vanilla extract. Poured into a graham-cracker rimmed glass, the hot chocolate is then topped with toasted marshmallows for the ultimate s’mores effect.
Hot chocolate just screams Fall and Winter to me as you are typically sipping on creamy, hot chocolate goodness when you come in from adventuring out in the colder weather, braving the cooler temperatures with hot chocolate in your mitten-covered hands, or needing a warm treat while the leaves or snow are falling outside. Can you feel it? Do you have the mittens or the freezing cold fingers? Mine are always freezing cold no matter what I do, so you better believe I am all over that hot chocolate!
Graham Cracker Rimmed Glasses
One of the main parts that makes this hot chocolate recipe fun (besides topping it with toasted marshmallows, of course) is the graham cracker rimmed glasses. Plus, you can’t have s’mores without graham crackers! Here’s how to do it:
- Grab your mug – any standard coffee mug or these glass mugs work perfect!
- Melt some chocolate – I just melt some on a small, microwave-safe plate. Stir it together to make it smooth.
- Smash the graham crackers – nice and powdery! Pour them onto another plate next to the chocolate.
- Flip the mug upside down and swirl the top into the melted chocolate.
- Dunk into the crumbled graham crackers.
- Allow to cool/set and enjoy!
How fun is that?
Party trick: planning on serving this hot chocolate to a crowd? Make the graham cracker rimmed mugs in advance! That way, guests can pour their own hot chocolate into the already decorated mugs, and top them however they please!
How to Roast Marshmallows Inside
Now, it’s time for the main s’mores attraction: toasted marshmallows! You just can’t have a s’mores without it. I mean literally, you can’t – you’d just have chocolate and graham crackers haha! If you aren’t sitting fireside, here are some ways to get the marshmallows toasted indoors:
- Gas stove top – if you have a gas stovetop, then this is a no-brainer! Turn one of the burners on to a high flame, grab a metal skewer and get to roasting some marshmallows! This is a fun activity for everyone to enjoy – just make sure your overhead exhaust fan is on so that you don’t set off any smoke alarms (speaking from experience).
- Kitchen torch – you’ll have to be a little bit more careful with this option as it is just an open, direct flame. Lightly glaze over the marshmallows with the torch until perfectly golden.
- Broiler – use the broil function on your oven! Place the marshmallows on a baking sheet that has lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray for easy removal. Place underneath the broiler and keep an eye on them as they turn perfectly golden brown.
- Indoor Tabletop Fire Pit – this option is for the truly dedicated! Bring the s’mores indoors with this cool, tabletop flame. How fun would that be for a party?
All of the wonderful, sticky, chocolate, and roasted goodness of a s’mores is wrapped up in this warm mug of hot chocolate. The chocolate dipped, graham cracker coated rim is just a must. It pulls together all of the s’mores flavors and delivers a bang in appearance. Each sip or gulp out of these mugs of S’mores Hot Chocolate will warm the back of your throat and your tummy as you close your eyes and give a chocolate-coated grin. You may want to have some paper towels or napkins ready to go.
This recipe is very versatile as it can be made in advance and reheated prior to serving. You could even warm it up in a slow cooker and have guests ladle-up their own mug! It’s just the same, perfect hot chocolate flavor the next day that you can’t resist. You could also make this an adult beverage by adding in Amaretto or Kahlua liquor instead of the extracts listed below. I would say to just add a shot of desired liquor into each mug served. This can be adjusted to your liking for a stronger or weaker beverage.
Looking for other Hot Chocolate Recipes? Check these out!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!
Recipe originally posted on 09/27/2017 – updated on 10/28/2021