Smoky Bacon Queso is a decadently cheesy, salty, bacon appetizer that is irresistible! Grab a chip and cannon ball straight into a cheesy vat of goodness. Cheddar and pepper jack cheese melt together in a creamy base that is swirled with crispy bacon. Smoky Bacon Queso is a dip-worthy and crowd-pleasing appetizer that will be gone before you know it!
- 12 oz bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh, chopped cilantro for garnish
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently cook the bacon until crispy on both sides, about 8-10 minutes or so. Transfer the cooked bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate. Remove about half of the bacon grease from the skillet to leave just enough grease to sauté the onion and garlic in.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté for several minutes over medium heat, or until translucent. Being careful to not allow it to brown too much or burn. Add the flour into the pan and stir until combined and creates a paste-like consistency. Whisk the heavy cream and milk into the skillet. Reduce the heat to low and bring the heavy cream and milk to a gentle simmer.
- Whisk the cheddar and pepper jack cheese into the skillet until melted and combined. If the queso gets too thick, you can always add a splash of milk to help thin it back out. Stir in half of the cooked bacon into the queso.
- Top the queso with the remaining cooked bacon and chopped, fresh cilantro as a garnish. Serve immediately in the skillet to help keep it warm. If you transfer into bowls, it will cool faster and you may need to re-warm it. Gently keeping the queso warm will help keep it thin and cheesy.
- You can serve this queso with regular or blue corn tortilla chips – either are great!