Isn’t the time in between Christmas and New Years Eve just the weirdest? I mean, there’s all the hype from the holidays that are wearing off, leftovers taking up all your refrigerator space, Christmas decorations still up, and what kind of music are you supposed to listen to anyways? I’m a die-hard Christmas music junkie, so it’s hard to just quit cold turkey. So, let’s just ladle up ourselves a bowl of soup, snuggle up and unwind before another holiday kicks in. Let’s go with Smoked Turkey Sausage Soup.
This soup is everything that you want in a bowl to fill you from the inside out. The smoked turkey gives it a wonderful, velvety-smooth broth that is so deep in flavor that people are going to think you slaved away on it for hours. But in reality, this soup is quick and easy to throw together. Just what you need after the holiday season.
Not only is this Smoked Turkey Sausage Soup packed full of flavor, but it is also loaded with nutrients! That’s right, you have sweet potato and spinach hidden in there. No one will ever know. Ok, they might be able to see it, but it tastes like a smoked turkey sausage dream.
I highly recommend a hunk of crunchy baguette (or some crackers) and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese to go along with this warm bowl of goodness. Make that 2 or 3 pieces of bread… you just can’t go wrong with a good baguette!
This soup is everything that you want in a bowl to fill you from the inside out. The smoked turkey gives it a wonderful, velvety-smooth broth that is so deep in flavor that people are going to think you slaved away on it for hours. But in reality, this soup is quick and easy to throw together.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 13 oz smoked turkey sausage, cut into 3/4 inch rounds
- 2 –32oz containers chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In the bottom of a deep stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Lightly saute the onion until translucent but not browned, about a couple minutes. Add in the turkey sausage rounds and saute for a few minutes more.
- Pour in the chicken stock and stir to combine the onions and sausage with the stock. Add in the sweet potato, oregano, rosemary, garlic and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a low boil and let it slowly boil for about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and allow the soup to simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. Just like any soup, the longer that it gets to simmer, the more condensed and flavorful it will be.
- Stir in the fresh spinach about 5 minutes prior to serving. Allowing it to wilt down. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Simply combine all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for desired amount of time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!