Get one whiff of this Smoked Jamaican Jerk Beer Can Chicken…and you’ll be ready to inhale the whole thing! The chicken is juicy and packed full of flavor from a Jamaican seasoning blend and cooked on top of a can of light beer. It smells heavenly and tastes even better.
This Jamaican chicken recipe is a fun and easy way to prepare a whole chicken. Smoking the jerk chicken keeps it from drying out and adds depth to the flavor. The smoker does all the hard work for you! Since it cooks at the same temperature the whole time, there’s no need to babysit this meal. So go ahead…check off some items on that to-do list. Or open another can of beer and relax. Your choice.
Fair warning: This dish impresses a crowd. If you’re sharing this meal with others, brace yourself for a barrage of compliments.
- 4 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 can light beer
- Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the seasoned salt and Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Generously rub down the chicken completely with the seasoning blend.
- Line a baking sheet (one that isn’t your favorite because it’s going on the smoker) with heavy duty aluminum foil. Open the beer can and place it in the middle of the sheet pan. Place the chicken cavity over the top of the beer can and gently press down until the chicken can stand up on it’s own and doesn’t feel like it’s going to tip over. About an inch of the bottom of the beer can is typically showing.
- Place the baking sheet with the beer can chicken on it directly on the smoker. Smoke the chicken for 70-90 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165 degrees. Allow the chicken to cool slightly prior to gently laying it on it’s side and using a pair of tongs to carefully pull out the beer can. It’s ok if the beer can spills, it makes a wonderful sauce to submerge your chicken in once you’ve carved it!
- If you like to make your own Jamaican Jerk seasoning, go for it! Store-bought is also fine to use as well.
- If you’re using a chicken throne, pour the beer into the chicken throne and then place the cavity of the chicken over the top of throne as you would for the can of beer.
- Non-alcoholic beer can also be used for this recipe.
- I like to use hickory pellets for this chicken, but mesquite works great as well!
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Smoked Recipes
- Method: Smoking
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 592
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Fat: 22.4g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 87.6g
- Cholesterol: 269mg
Keywords: Smoked Jamaican Jerk Beer Can Chicken