Simple Smoked Chicken is loaded full of flavor! A whole chicken is rubbed with a homemade blend of a few simple ingredients and smoked until perfectly succulent. You won’t believe how flavorful and hassle-free it is! Even if you don’t have a smoker, I’ll walk you through how to create this delicious chicken right in your own kitchen. Otherwise, pull out your smokers and get them fired up!
For the chicken:
- 4 pound whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 cups light beer or chicken stock
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the rub together. Pat the chicken completely dry with a paper towel.
- Evenly rub the whole chicken with the prepared rub mix. Pour the beer or chicken stock into the bottom of a chicken throne/stand and situate the chicken on top of the stand. Place the prepared chicken in the center of a baking sheet for an even surface.
- Place the chicken on the smoker and smoke for 70-90 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees. If your smoker tends to be hotter on one side, you may have to rotate your chicken halfway through the cooking process to ensure even browning. Enjoy!
- Using a chicken stand/throne is highly recommended as it makes your life much easier. If you don’t have one, you can open a standard can of beer and situate the chicken on top of the can. I prefer the stand because it is re-usable and you can put either beer or chicken stock in the center.
- If you don’t have a smoker, you can still make this recipe! Simply preheat your oven and rub down the chicken in the same way. Place the chicken in a large Dutch oven or baking dish that you can cover with a lid or foil. Pour 1 cup of light beer or chicken stock into the bottom. Bake for 70-90 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees. Remove the lid/foil for the last 30 minutes of cooking to get a perfectly browned chicken.
- Hickory pellets are my favorite for smoking as they give a nice, smooth smoke flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes