Simple Smoked Chicken is loaded full of flavor! A whole chicken is rubbed with a homemade blend of a few simple ingredients and smoked until perfectly succulent. You won’t believe how flavorful and hassle-free it is! Even if you don’t have a smoker, I’ll walk you through how to create this delicious chicken right in your own kitchen. Otherwise, pull out your smokers and get them fired up!
Equipment You Need for Simple Smoked Chicken
When it comes to making this smoked chicken, you do need to have a few items ready to go:
- Smoker – we have both a Pitboss and a Traeger in our family and love both of them!
- Wood Pellets – my favorite is hickory! It gives a nice, smooth smoke flavor.
- Chicken Stand/Throne – this one is my favorite and it works great! Even dishwasher safe. I love how you can put either beer, wine or stock in it to keep your chicken juicy.
- Sheet Pan – this helps create a flat surface for the chicken stand to sit on and easily move around.
How to Smoke a Chicken
First, preheat your smoker.
Then, rub the chicken down with seasoning and situate it on the chicken throne that is filled with your choice of light beer (I prefer Bud Light) or chicken stock. Situate the chicken in the middle of your sheet pan.
Next, place the chicken on the smoker and leave it be! You may have to rotate it halfway through to evenly brown if your smoker tends to cook hotter on one side.
Finally, dig into a delicious, easy dinner! I highly recommend serving this with Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese, because how can you go wrong with mac and cheese?!
What to Do if You Don’t Have a Smoker
Buy one! Haha just kidding…but we have absolutely loved ours! It’s just hard to beat a good smoke flavor. Plus, smoking is much easier than you expect it to be.
But, if you don’t have a smoker, you can still make this delicious chicken in your oven! You won’t have the smoke flavor, but it will still turn out succulent and full of flavor. Here’s what you need to do if you don’t have a smoker:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub the chicken with the homemade rub mix in the recipe below. Place the chicken in a large Dutch oven or baking dish that you will be able to cover with a lid or foil.
- Pour a cup of light beer or chicken stock in with the chicken, cover with the lid and bake!
- Remove the lid/foil for the last 30 minutes of baking to get a nice, browned chicken skin.
Since this smoked chicken recipe is so simple, we love to cook it up for a weeknight meal. But, it’s also show-stopper enough to serve a crowd, family gathering, holiday or party!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!