Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are a chocolate lover’s dream come true! A decadent chocolate cookie base is loaded full of chocolate chunks that melt and puddle perfectly. Sprinkle the tops with a little bit of flaky sea salt and try to exhibit some self control. But let me tell ya, it’s hard! Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are just the dessert or sweet treat that you need.
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 oz semi-sweet baking bars, chopped into varied sizes – no larger than an inch.
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about a couple minutes. Reduce the speed to low and mix in one egg at a time, making sure to wipe down the sides of the bowl in between each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer speed on low, mix in the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda until a cookie dough has formed. With a rubber spatula, mix in half of the chopped chocolate, saving the other half for topping. I try to save the larger pieces as topping pieces. Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto a non-greased cookie sheet, placing them a few inches apart. I tend to do 6 cookies per standard-size baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes, remove them from the oven, gently press a few pieces of chopped chocolate into the tops of the cookies and put back into the oven to bake for another 5-6 minutes, or until the centers have set.
- After the cookies come out of the oven, use a butter knife to gently break open the tops of the chocolate chunks on top of the cookies to give them a glossy look. Sprinkle each cookie with a little bit of flaky sea salt. Let the cookies cool slightly on the baking pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used.
- For storage, let the cookies cool completely and the chocolate set/harden before storing them in an air-tight container or storage bag. Enjoy!
- I love to use Ghiradelli semi-sweet baking bars! Not sponsored, but genuinely love!
- Let the cookies cool and set completely before stacking them or storing them.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes per batch