The perfect amount of pumpkin is swirled with sweet cinnamon and crunchy pecans. It’s a match made for each other.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar and warm water to activate the yeast. Set aside. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, warm the milk and 1 stick of butter until the butter is completely melted, careful to not boil. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and salt until combined. Slowly whisk in the cooled butter and milk mixture until combined with the eggs. Add in the yeast mixture until just combined and then fold in the flour until a sticky dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm area (stovetop or window in the sun) to let the dough rise for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously flour your working surface and rolling pin. Roll the dough out into a 1/4 inch rectangle, flouring the surface, dough and rolling pin as needed. The dough may be slightly sticky. Melt the remaining 1 stick of butter and lightly spread a thin layer on top of the dough, using only about 1/4 of the melted butter. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup sugar on top of the butter and follow it with the cinnamon on top of it. Gently spread the pumpkin puree over the top of the cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour the remaining melted butter into the bottom of a 13×9 baking pan. Mix it with the brown sugar and chopped pecans and spread it in an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Starting at one end of the dough rectangle, roll the dough up into a log, making sure that the filling does not come out. Use flour as needed. Cut the log into 8 equal rolls and place them on top of the butter pecan mixture in the baking pan. Since the rolls will be flipped at the end, put the top side of the rolls down first.
- Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and let rise for 20-30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through in the centers.
- Immediately flip the rolls onto a baking sheet after removing from the oven, being careful of the pecan mixture as it will be hot. Remove the baking pan after the rolls are flipped and let cool slightly prior to serving. The rolls can be made in advance and reheated to serve.
- Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes