Healthy Chicken Enchilada Soup is a bowl of soup that is so comforting and packed full of flavor that you won’t even believe it’s healthy! Chicken is simmered in a tomato-based broth loaded full of spices such as chipotle powder, cayenne and cumin to take on the full enchilada flavor. Black beans add an extra boost of protein and flavor. Ladle yourself a bowl and top with fresh avocado, sour cream and maybe a few chips for a little crunch and you are set to go! Perfect for a weeknight meal, dinner to feed a crowd or for meal prepping.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- (2) 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- (2) 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Roasted Corn
- Drizzle of Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- In a large pot, combine the chicken, chicken stock and onion and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Allow to boil for 5 or so minutes. Add in the two cans of tomato sauce and the can of diced tomatoes & green chilies. Stir to combine. Stir in the black beans.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper into the soup. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the soup, shred it with two forks and add it back into the soup. Allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more.
- Serve the soup topped with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- This soup can easily be made in the slow cooker! Simply combine all the ingredients into the slow cooker and set the time for low (6-8 hours) or high (4-6 hours) – depending on how much time you have. Shred the chicken before serving.
- Drizzling a little bit of olive oil or avocado oil as a topping may sound strange, but its good! It’s also an easy way to add a healthy fat.
- Like any soup, this one gets better with time or as a leftover! Perfect for meal-prep or leftovers for a couple days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 mintues