Garlic Herb Prime Rib is a show-stopping main course! A beautiful Prime Rib roast is rubbed with a garlic herb butter and roasted until perfectly pink on the inside. Each bite is tender, flavorful and loaded full of beef flavor. Serve this for any special occasion or holiday table.
This post and recipe is sponsored by Certified Piedmontese. All words and photographs are my own. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make KJ & Company possible!
What is a Prime Rib?
The first thing that comes to my mind when Prime Rib is brought up is pure decadence. It’s just one of those cuts of meat that always comes out on top! It is perfect for any special occasion or holiday dinner. Here’s what Certified Piedmontese says about their Standing Rib Roast/Prime Rib:
“The standing rib roast is the cut prepared as prime rib—the king of roasts. The Certified Piedmontese standing rib roast has bold, beefy flavor, and thanks to the Piedmontese breed, it also boasts tenderness and nutrition your family and guests simply won’t believe. It’s the perfect centerpiece for a memorable gathering, especially when served with savory au jus. All Certified Piedmontese beef is verified all-natural and raised without hormones or antibiotics.”
What Sets Certified Piedmontese Beef Apart
Certified Piedmontese isn’t just any other beef brand that you may think. They have such a unique, healthy and appealing way that they operate. Let’s dive into the details on what sets Certified Piedmontese apart from the others:
- Their cows come from the rare Piedmontese breed of cattle from Italy – less than 1% of cattle in the United States are Piedmontese, but Certified Piedmontese has the largest herd of these cattle.
- The beef is naturally healthier, but does not sacrifice on flavor and tenderness.
- The beef has fewer calories, less fat and higher protein per ounce than beef from other breeds.
- The cattle are raised naturally without hormones, antibiotics or steroids – and on ranches here in the Midwest!
- You get the taste of real beef since it is naturally cleaner and leaner.
- Certified Piedmontese has a ranch-to-fork process that ensures traceability, environmental sustainability and humane handling.
Now, I don’t know about you guys, but COUNT ME IN! Not only are all of those amazing qualities of the Certified Piedmontese brand enough to get you on board, but tasting their product will have you hooked for life. I sure am!
Garlic Herb Butter
A decadent garlic herb butter gets rubbed all over the Prime Rib to create a beautiful crust and seal in all the flavor and juices.
Making sure that your butter is very softened will help when it comes to rubbing it onto the roast. The top of the roast needs to be completely covered, then the butter will melt down in the cooking process and cover the sides.
Fresh thyme and rosemary bring the butter to life along with chopped garlic. It truly is the perfect companion for this Prime Rib!
Tips for Cooking a Prime Rib
I know that cooking a Prime Rib roast can seem similarly daunting as cooking a turkey. It’s a big hunk of meat! Have not fear, though. With these tips for cooking Prime Rib, you’ll be a pro before you know it.
- Make sure the roast is properly defrosted days in advance if you are starting with a frozen roast.
- Set the Prime Rib out onto the counter from the refrigerator to bring it to room temperature before roasting. This will help the roast cook more evenly and quickly. Set it out at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Roasting it on extremely high heat will create a beautiful crust on the roast. Then, the heat is reduced and the roast is cooked low and slow before coming to temperature.
- Have a good meat thermometer on hand. This will be the best way to tell if the roast is done or not! Prime rib is traditionally served with a nice pink/red center, about 125 degree internal temperature.
- Use a roasting pan inserted with a wire rack. This will allow the heat to get all the way around and under the roast which helps it cook evenly as well.
- Allow the roast to rest before slicing and serving. This will keep all the wonderful juices inside. Use a sharp knife to slice into 1/4 inch slices.
How to Serve
I highly recommend serving this Garlic Herb Prime Rib with some mashed potatoes and gravy. Specifically, my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes , Creamed Spinach Casserole and Easy Beef Gravy. It just can’t be beat!
However you serve the roast, it will be a crowd-stopper. It’s well-known for decadence and that is exactly what this recipe is. Wow your crowd with this one!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!