Fresh Blueberry Muffins feature a classic muffin batter studded with juicy blueberries and swirled with bright lemon zest. After you bite through the crunchy, sugar topping, you are met with bright, fresh, sweet flavors! Bake up a batch of these muffins for a perfect breakfast, brunch or even a midnight snack.
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Greek yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the 1 cup of sugar and whisk to combine until pale in color, about a minute or so.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt into the wet mixture until all the ingredients are combined and a batter has formed, being careful to not over-mix.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour until coated. Leaving the excess flour in the small bowl. Gently fold the blueberries and lemon zest into the batter until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with liners and fill each one 3/4 of the way full with the muffin batter. Evenly top each muffin with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, about 1/2 teaspoon or so per each muffin top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown and the muffins are cooked through. Allow to cool for several minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
- These muffins store wonderfully! Make sure they are completely cooled, then store in an air-tight container or bag for a few days of a perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack!
- Be careful to not over-mix the batter which will cause the muffins to be dense.
- Looking for the ultimate “muffin top” look? Fill each muffin almost all the way full with batter. But, also skip every other muffin tin to allow the muffins to have room to grow out instead of melding into each other.
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 24.1g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Keywords: Fresh Blueberry Muffins