Fresh Blueberry Muffins feature a classic muffin batter studded with juicy blueberries and swirled with bright lemon zest. After you bite through the crunchy, sugar topping, you are met with bright, fresh, sweet flavors! Bake up a batch of these muffins for a perfect breakfast, brunch or even a midnight snack.
This is a muffin recipe that is packed full of fresh, vibrant flavor! The blueberries burst open and infuse the muffins with their sweet, juicy goodness. The addition of lemon zest really makes these muffins sing. Blueberry and lemon are a classic combo and marry perfectly in each muffin you unwrap!
Having these muffins on hand make your life so much easier. Typically, I sleep to the very last second that I can to give myself about 15 minutes to get out the door. With not being a morning person, having one or two of these muffins to grab on my way out the door sure does help brighten my morning! Heck, I even snarfed one of these down for dessert one night. Crack one of these babies open, warm it up for a few seconds, and then smear a pad of salty butter right across. Try to tell me that’s not delectable. Try. I won’t even listen at this point (lol).
Making a muffin batter couldn’t be easier. The main thing to keep in mind: don’t over-mix! We want a light, fluffy muffin instead of a dense one. Let’s walk through it:
First, melted butter is whisked together with Greek yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla. This will create the liquid base for the batter.
Then, sugar is whisked in. You gotta have sweetness!
After that comes the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
Finally, the fun part! Blueberries and fresh lemon zest get folded in. The muffin batter is then ready to be scooped into muffin tins and baked until perfectly golden brown.
Did You Know?
The reason behind mixing the fresh blueberries with a tablespoon of flour is to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins when baking. The flour coating allows the blueberries to stay perfectly studded throughout the muffins without sinking!
Tips for Baking
Before these muffins go into the oven, they are each sprinkled with a sugary topping. Trust me, you don’t want to skip out on this step! The sugar caramelizes and creates a wonderfully, sweet crunch to the top of the muffins. It’s a must! Here are some other tips for baking these muffins:
- Use a cookie dough scoop to fill all the muffin tins with the batter. This will help you make sure that each muffin is filled to the same amount as the others. Roughly a couple of over-flowing tablespoons.
- If you are looking for the ultimate “muffin top” look, fill each muffin almost all the way full with the batter. But, also skip every other tin. That way it gives the muffins room to grow out instead of melding into each other. You won’t have a full muffin tin going into the oven, but you’ll get the ultimate muffin top.
- Going for the bursting blueberry look? Stud a few fresh blueberries onto the tops of the muffins before baking.
- Bake until just turning golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. No one wants a dry muffin!
- Zest additional fresh lemon zest on top of the warm muffins for the ultimate lemon flavor.
Gimme All the Muffin Tops
Looking for that ultimate “muffin top” look to your muffins? Fill each muffin almost all the way full with the batter. But, also skip every other tin. That way it gives the muffins room to grow out instead of melding into each other. You won’t have a full muffin tin going into the oven, but you’ll get the ultimate muffin top.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!
Recipe originally posted on 5/5/2019 – photos and words updated on 2/25/2022.