Berry Hand Pies are little pockets bursting with goodness. Each hand pie is filled with fresh berries and baked until the crust is golden and flaky.
This recipe is a quick and easy berry dessert that works for any summertime occasion, from BBQs to pool parties to a lazy summer afternoon in your backyard.
Sweet, slightly messy, and a laid-back pleasure. It’s the stuff summers are made of.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 pounds pie crust (roughly 4 9-inch pie crust rounds)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Raw sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the berries in a medium saucepan with the sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and cornstarch. Toss to evenly until evenly coated. Place over medium-low heat, allow to reduce and simmer occasionally stirring until a jam-like consistency is achieved. About 15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your pie crust. Roll your pie dough out to 1/4 inch thick and cut them into 4-inch round circles. Gently fold together and re-roll the excess pie dough pieces to make more circles. Repeat until you have used all the pie dough you can, about 6 circles per pie crust. Refrigerate the pie dough circles until ready to use.
- Lay 6 pie dough circles out onto a baking sheet. Carefully add 2 tablespoons of the berry filling to the center of each circle, leaving about 1/2 an inch of room to crimp the edges all around.
- Top each prepared pie dough circle with another round of pie dough and crimp the edges of each one to form the hand pies. Repeat until all the pie dough and filling has been used – 2 baking sheets will be needed with six hand pies on each one.
- Gently poke a couple holes into the tops of the hand pies with a sharp paring knife.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and the water. Brush the hand pies with the egg wash, sprinkle with the sugar and bake for 20-25 or until golden brown and fluffy. Let cool slightly before serving warm, or cooling completely and storing to serve room temperature. Enjoy!
- Homemade or store-bought pie dough can be used. If using store bought, you will need 4 9-inch rounds for this recipe.
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 10.2g
- Sodium: 278mg
- Fat: 14.3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
Keywords: Easy Berry Hand Pies