Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan is a classic dinner option to cook up in your kitchen with ease! Chicken breasts that have been cut in half are dredged in a parmesan and Panko breading and baked until perfectly crispy. Spoon a little marina sauce on the tops and then a layer of mozzarella cheese and broil until all sorts of melty and delicious. A simple spin on a classic recipe!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 cup marinara
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese or 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
- Fresh basil for garnish if desired
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally by firmly pressing down on top with one hand and carefully using a knife to cut the chicken breast evenly in half horizontally, letting the knife do most of the work. Pat the 4 cuts of chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a shallow plastic container or bowl, whisk the egg. In another equally sized container or bowl, mix together the Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dredge it in the egg wash and then transfer to the breading and coat/pat the breading on all sides of the chicken breast until completely coated. Place the prepared chicken breast on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Evenly spray the tops of the chicken breasts with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat your broiler. Spoon about 1/4 cup of marinara on top of each chicken breast and then evenly top with the mozzarella cheese. Put the chicken back under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired and enjoy!
- Both fresh mozzarella or shredded block mozzarella work for this recipe. The fresh mozzarella will melt and give you the look from the pictures above.
- Serve this Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan with your favorite pasta, risotto or polenta.