Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan is a classic dinner option to cook up in your kitchen with ease! Chicken breasts that have been cut in half are dredged in a parmesan and panko breading and baked until perfectly crispy. Spoon a little marina sauce on the tops and then a layer of mozzarella cheese and broil until all sorts of melty and delicious. A simple spin on a classic recipe!
What is Chicken Parmesan?
Traditionally, chicken parmesan is a chicken dish that is usually coated with a parmesan breading and fried. Then, they are topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and broiled until the cheese has melted.
With this Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan, we are essentially doing the same thing! The main difference: baking the chicken instead of frying. Trust me, it’s equally as delicious and less hassle! And less kitchen clean-up… it’s a win-win situation!
What Type of Chicken to Use
The best cut of chicken to use for this recipe are boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The reason being: you are going to slice them in half! Doing this helps the chicken cook quickly and evenly. If you aren’t comforable doing this at home, I recommend you have your butcher or meat counter cut them for you. But it’s not too daunting of a task to tackle at home! Frimly but gently press one hand down on top of the chicken breast while the other uses a knife to carefully cut it in half horizontally – trying to make sure that each slice is the same thickness.
How to Serve Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
When it comes to chicken parmesan, the first thing I think to pair it with is pasta! Since you already have to open a jar of marinara sauce from spooning a bit on top of the chicken breasts, why not use it up? Boil up your favorite pasta shape and toss with the remaining sauce!
But, in reality, the possibilites are endless when it comes to serving this chicken parm! It makes a great weeknight meal, delicious date night meal or a family favorite to put on the table. Serve with your favorite pasta, polenta, risotto or a zesty Italian salad. And don’t forget the garlic bread!
After serving up a batch of this Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan to John, he told me he had never had chicken parm before! I think this is going to be a new addition to our regular dinner rotation – and the leftovers were great for heating up for lunch the next day!
Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan is a classic dinner option to cook up in your kitchen with ease! Chicken breasts that have been cut in half are dredged in a parmesan and Panko breading and baked until perfectly crispy. Spoon a little marina sauce on the tops and then a layer of mozzarella cheese and broil until all sorts of melty and delicious. A simple spin on a classic recipe!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 cup marinara
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese or 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
- Fresh basil for garnish if desired
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally by firmly pressing down on top with one hand and carefully using a knife to cut the chicken breast evenly in half horizontally, letting the knife do most of the work. Pat the 4 cuts of chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a shallow plastic container or bowl, whisk the egg. In another equally sized container or bowl, mix together the Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dredge it in the egg wash and then transfer to the breading and coat/pat the breading on all sides of the chicken breast until completely coated. Place the prepared chicken breast on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Evenly spray the tops of the chicken breasts with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat your broiler. Spoon about 1/4 cup of marinara on top of each chicken breast and then evenly top with the mozzarella cheese. Put the chicken back under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired and enjoy!
- Both fresh mozzarella or shredded block mozzarella work for this recipe. The fresh mozzarella will melt and give you the look from the pictures above.
- Serve this Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan with your favorite pasta, risotto or polenta.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!