Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies are a minty twist on a delightful holiday treat. These rich, fudgy cookies are chewy on the inside, slightly crunchy on the outside, and dusted in powdered sugar. The slight hint of cool peppermint is the perfect complement to the intense chocolate. A must-have for the Christmas season!
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed preferred)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for coating
- 1/4 cup finely crushed candy canes
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the melted butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth, about a couple minutes. Reduce the speed to low and mix in one egg at a time, wiping down the sides of the bowl in between each addition. Mix in the peppermint extract.
- Add in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder and mix just until a dough forms. Refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours. This can be done by adding the bowl of dough to the refrigerator, or by scooping the dough out into balls, placing them all on a baking sheet and refrigerating the whole baking sheet. Either option works.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Use a medium-sized cookie scoop to scoop the refrigerated dough into cooke dough balls. Roll each cooke dough ball into the powdered sugar to completely coat. Place on a baking sheet a few inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, taking the pans out halfway through and banging them on the counter to help with the crinkle process. They can also be banged on the counter a couple times after the baking process in addition to help with this.
- While the cookies are still warm, sprinkle the tops with the crushed candy canes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and enjoy!
- Dutch processed cocoa is preferred for this recipe but not required. I find that it yields a much more decadent chocolate flavor.
- The cookies can also be baked on a parchment-lined baking sheet to help with cleanup as the powdered sugar does fluff off a bit when banged on the counter.
- Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 14.5g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
Keywords: Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies