Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies are the perfect combination of oats, cookie dough and semi-sweet chocolate chunks. Each bite is deliciously chewy and everything you want a cookie to be. Dive into the melted puddles of chocolate on top to a delicious brown sugar cookie dough studded with oats.
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (3) 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate baking bars, such as Ghiradelli
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about a couple minutes. Reduce the speed to low and mix in one egg at a time, making sure to wipe down the sides of the bowl in between each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt into the mixing bowl and mix on low speed until a cookie dough has formed.
- Chop the chocolate bars into 1/2 inch chunks. Mix half of the chocolate into the dough until evenly combined. Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, scoop the dough out onto an un-greased baking sheet, placing them a few inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for about 5 minutes, remove from the oven and gently press a few chocolate pieces into the tops of each cookie. Place them back in the oven and bake for another 5-6 minutes, or until the cookies have set and are slightly golden brown.
- Gently break open the tops of the chocolate puddles with the tip of a butter knife to get a glossy chocolate look. Let the cookies cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used.
- If you don’t want to worry about putting chocolate pieces on top of the cookies halfway through the baking process, then add all of the chocolate pieces into the batter and skip that step.
- Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate baking bar is what I highly recommend for these cookies.
- Flaky sea salt would also be great on top of these cookies after they come out of the oven!
- Let the cookies cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.