If you’re looking for pure comfort food, Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is just the dish for you! A classic, homemade, creamy chicken pot pie-type filling is topped with nostalgic tater tots. When it comes out of the oven, the tater tots are golden brown and crispy, while the creamy, chicken filling is bubbling to perfection.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion, celery and carrots with the butter until slightly translucent, about 5-8 minutes, being careful to avoid any browning. Add in the garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add in the flour and combine until a paste-like consistency forms, about a minute. Gently stir in the heavy cream and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add in the chicken and allow the mixture to simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly and the chicken is partially cooked.
- Carefully pour the chicken filling into a 9×13 pan. Evenly top the chicken mixture with the tater tots. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the sauce underneath is bubbling. Enjoy!
- If you are looking for freezer meals or to prepare this ahead of time, this chicken tater tot casserole can be made all they way up to the point before you bake it. Allow it to cool slightly before you cover it and refrigerate or freeze it. If you freeze it, you will need to add about 45 extra minutes to the cook time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes