If you’re looking for pure comfort food, Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is just the dish for you! A classic, homemade, creamy chicken pot pie-type filling is topped with nostalgic tater tots. When it comes out of the oven, the tater tots are golden brown and crispy, while the creamy, chicken filling is bubbling to perfection.
This is one of those recipes that, even though it isn’t the healthiest on the list, it is certainly one that you will turn back to! That’s the thing about comfort food, though. Recipes that might not be the healthiest for us in calorie count, but good for the soul. With cold temperatures and snow flurries, you will want a bowl of this Chicken Tater Tot Casserole in front of you! Heck, any time of the year you will want this bowl in front of you!
Tips for Making in Advance
Not only are the tater tots a great part of this dish, but so is it’s versatility! You can easily make this dish in advance, re-heat leftovers, make a freezer meal out of it or transport it to family and friends. Here are some simple steps to help you make this dish in advance:
- Make the recipe as directed up to the point of pouring the chicken base into the baking pan.
- Cool before pouring into a freezer-safe pan, top with the tater tots, cover and freeze.
- To bake, pull it straight from the freezer, remove the cover and bake as instructed, adding an additional 30 minutes to compensate for the frozen meal.
- Make the recipe as directed. Cool and store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- Re-heat via microwave or covered in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Take and Bake:
- Make the recipe as directed, but after topping with the tater tots, don’t bake it.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place and a transport-safe compartment.
- Take with you to wherever you need to go/deliver and bake upon arrival as the baking directions below say.
PS: these aluminum foil baking pans work great for all of these options! Then you don’t have to worry about cleaning a pan/getting one back.
All Things Tater Tot
Tater tots always have a nostalgic memory attached to them. As you crunch into one, it usually takes you straight back to your childhood or the first time you tasted one of those salty, crispy, golden nuggets of joy. I think my husband about cried tears of joy when he saw me bringing home a couple bags of tater tots to toss in the freezer. You never know when you are going to need a tot! Plus, if something is topped with tater tots, doesn’t that just automatically make them better?
Make this casserole for a weeknight meal, get-together, social gathering, for a neighbor or a friend – any way you bake it, it’s bound to bring love and smiles!
Looking for other chicken recipes? Look here!
This recipe was originally posted in February 2019. Since then, it’s been a big crowd favorite! I’ve added updated pictures along with a few additional tips. It’s been so fun to see this dish come to life in your kitchens!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!