Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is a one-pan recipe that is comforting and flavorful! Tender pieces of chicken are sautéd until golden brown, and simmered in a creamy sauce with vibrant broccoli florets, rice and herbs. Topped with shredded cheese and baked until bubbly, this casserole is sure to be a family favorite!
- 1 pound Smart Chicken Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups Smart Chicken Organic Classic Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into 1or 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken pieces and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add in the onion and garlic. Sauté for a couple minutes more until slightly translucent. Add in the butter and melt, then add in the flour and stir to create a paste-like consistency.
- Reduce the heat to low. Pour in the heavy cream and stir to combine. Pour in the bone broth, thyme and salt and stir to combine. Allow to simmer on low for a couple minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Add the chicken back into the pan along with the cooked rice, broccoli florets and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Gently toss to coat and combine.
- Arrange the remaining cheese on top of the casserole in an even layer and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!
- If dark meat is preferred, Smart Chicken Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs can be used instead.
- Pre-cook the rice by either doing so on the stovetop or using microwavable rice. Brown or white rice can be used.
- If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the casserole ingredients to a 9×13 pan prior to sprinkling with cheese and baking.
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 640
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 721mg
- Fat: 32.4g
- Carbohydrates: 55.2g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 33.6g
- Cholesterol: 141mg
Keywords: Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole