Brown Butter M&M Cookies are a fun and delicious take on a classic M&M cookie! Nutty, toffee-like brown butter is swirled into a sugary cookie dough to create loads of flavor. Regular and mini M&M’s are then folded into the dough to make these the ultimate M&M cookies! Bake up a batch for a scrumptious dessert that you won’t be able to keep your hands off of!
What KJ Loves about this Recipe
These cookies just scream happiness and sunshine to me and I am here for it! How can you not smile while you have a fun M&M cookie in your hand? I’m a firm believer that brown butter makes everything better – and I couldn’t love it more in this cookie recipe! It really takes these cookies to the next level – no boring cookies around here! I actually love the addition of mini M&M’s into these cookies along with the regular. They are little burst of colorful, chocolatey joy! Perfect for dunking into a glass of milk or sharing with others to spread smiles. Bake up a batch to have your house smelling absolutely delicious! And then dig in…
How to Brown Butter
Start this recipe off by making a batch of brown butter. As long as you don’t get too distracted by your phone, tv show or your dog barking for treats (speaking from personal experience), making brown butter is a breeze. Here’s how to make it:
- Add a stick of butter into a sauce pan and place it over medium heat.
- Melt the butter and allow it to bubble down.
- Once it stops bubbling a lot and starts to have a nutty, toffee-like smell to it, give it a few swirls to see the golden brown color.
- Remove from the heat immediately.
The main thing to keep in mind when making brown butter: it turns FAST. Meaning, it goes from being all wonderfully golden brown and nutty to burnt. And nobody wants burnt butter.
All things M&M’s
Since these are M&M cookies, we need some M&M’s! Here me out on this potentially unpopular opinion: I actually like the mini M&M’s in the cookies better than the regular size! I know, I know, a classic M&M cookie is regular M&M’s, and I put them into this recipe as well, but I really ended up loving the minis! They were just perfect, little pockets of colorfully delicious chocolate. Not only that, but they also stayed fairly soft in the cookies a couple days later. I’m hooked!
Want to mix it up even more?? Easily change up the color of the M&M’s to match any holiday of the year! How great is that? A delicious, fun cookie recipe to be used all year round.
Customize the M&M's
Easily change up the color of the M&M’s to match any holiday of the year! How great is that? A cookie recipe that can be used all year round!
Cookie Tips & Tricks
- Brown Butter – I like to pour the brown butter straight from the saucepan into the mixing bowl I’m going to use to make the cookie dough. That way it can cool and set slightly in there without having to dirty another pan!
- Cookie Scoop – I always like to use a medium-sized cookie scoop to scoop out my cookies. Not only does this help the cookies stay the same size, but keeps the dough in good consistency as well since it isn’t being handled by warm hands.
- Decorate the Cookie Dough Balls – Before the cookies go into the oven, I like to decorate the tops of the cookie dough balls with extra M&M’s! This isn’t necessary, but it makes the cookies that much more fun! Plus, then you can really see all the M&M’s shining through. Gently press them into the tops of the cookie dough balls without flattening them before putting them into the oven.
- Round Cookies – Did you know you can use the back of your spatula to gently press the cookies into a perfectly round shape right after they come out of the oven if you so choose? Personally, I love the homestyle look of cookies coming out of the oven, but if you want them perfectly round thats how you do it!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!