Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best kind of cookies! The browned butter gives the cookie dough a rich, toffee-like buttery taste. Swirl in classic chocolate chips for a cookie so scrumptious they will disappear before your eyes! A decadent chocolate chip cookie recipe that will become your new favorite.
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt for garnish as desired
- Place 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat to melt. Allow to melt and bubble while stirring occasionally and watching closely. Once the butter is an amber-brown color and smells like toffee, remove from the heat immediately as it can quickly burn after this point. Pour the brown butter into the bowl you will use to make the cookie dough to allow to cool, about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Once the brown butter has cooled, add in the remaining 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of softened butter and mix on low speed to combine. Add in the brown sugar and the sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about a couple minutes. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in one egg at a time, wiping down the sides of the bowl in between each addition.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix on low speed until the cookie dough forms, try to not over-mix at this point. Add in all of the chocolate chips, except for about 1/3 cup of them (set aside for garnish). Gently fold the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Use a medium-sized cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough out onto a non-greased cookie sheet, placing each one a few inches apart. Use the saved 1/3 cup of chocolate chips to gently press 4-5 into the tops of each cookie dough ball before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies have just set and are slightly golden brown. While the cookies are still warm, lightly sprinkle the tops of the cookies with the flaky sea salt.
- Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them in an air-tight container.
- To freeze the cookie dough: follow steps 1-5. Instead of baking the cookie dough balls, you will place them in the freezer on the baking sheet to harden completely, about a couple hours. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag to store in the freezer for whenever you need a chocolate chip cookie fix. Add on a few minutes to the bake time.
- The flaky sea salt garnish isn’t required but SO worth it!
- Category: Cookies, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 254mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: brown butter chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies, cookies, dessert, chocolate