A classic Barbacoa recipe that is fall-apart tender! Beef braised low and slow with adobo chiles, spices and green chiles. The end result is a juicy, flavorful shredded beef to be used in many different ways. Tacos, burritos, salads and more!
This post and recipe is sponsored by Certified Piedmontese. All words and photographs are my own. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make KJ & Company possible!
What is Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is a flavor-loaded beef dish! Traditionally served in Mexican dishes, this rich, decadent beef is exactly what your tastebuds are looking for.
A chuck roast is cut into cubes, seared and then braised low and slow with different chiles, spices and aromatics. After braising, the beef shreds apart easily with a fork to be used however your heart desires! I like to think of it as the south-of-the-boarder version of a pot roast. I’m definitely not an expert on the matter, but it is oh-so delicious!
What Sets Certified Piedmontese Beef Apart
Certified Piedmontese isn’t just any other beef brand that you may think. They have such a unique, healthy and appealing way that they operate. Let’s dive into the details on what sets Certified Piedmontese apart from the others:
- Their cows come from the rare Piedmontese breed of cattle from Italy – less than 1% of cattle in the United States are Piedmontese, but Certified Piedmontese has the largest herd of these cattle.
- The beef is naturally healthier, but does not sacrifice on flavor and tenderness.
- The beef has fewer calories, less fat and higher protein per ounce than beef from other breeds.
- The cattle are raised naturally without hormones, antibiotics or steroids – and on ranches here in the Midwest!
- You get the taste of real beef since it is naturally cleaner and leaner.
- Certified Piedmontese has a ranch-to-fork process that ensures traceability, environmental sustainability and humane handling.
Now, I don’t know about you guys, but COUNT ME IN! Not only are all of those amazing qualities of the Certified Piedmontese brand enough to get you on board, but tasting their product will have you hooked for life. I sure am!
How To Serve Barbacoa
Barbacoa can be served in so many different ways! I love how versatile it is. If you’re asking me, you can never go wrong with a bed of Coconut Cilantro Rice to carry the barbacoa. Here are some other ideas:
- Burrito bowls
- Salad topping
Toppings such as pico de gallo, fajitas, corn salsa, sour cream, cheese or guacamole pair beautifully with the beef!
Whether you are making this Barbacoa recipe for a scrumptious weeknight meal, a taco night, family gathering, dinner date or gathering, it is sure to be a hit! We sure love it.
Looking for other beef recipes? Check these out!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that KJ & Company would receive a small commission if anything is purchased. Thank you for supporting KJ & Company in all the ways that you do!