Bangers and Mash is a traditional Irish dish: hearty sausages and creamy mashed potatoes covered in a savory gravy.
Flavorful sausages are seared until golden brown, then smothered in a rich gravy made with caramelized onions and beef broth. Serve this traditional meal over creamy, buttery mashed potatoes.
This flavorful dinner is a comforting dinner for any night of the week—or a special dish to whip up for St. Patty’s Day 🍀
- 5–6 pork or beef sausages, raw with casings
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mashed potatoes for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the sausages and sear on all sides until golden brown and cooked through (160 internal temperature), reducing the heat to cook through if necessary. Set the sausages aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté for several minutes or until the onions are slightly caramelized. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Pour the beef stock into the skillet to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan for flavor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Nestle the sausages back into the sauce and allow to simmer for another couple minutes.
- Serve the sausages over mashed potatoes with the onion gravy spooned over the top. Enjoy!
- Use full-fat sausages for this recipe as all that flavor is needed for the gravy!
- Nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Fat: 17.8g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: Bangers & Mash