Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Stew is a flavorful spoonful! Shrimp and sausage are sautéd in cajun seasonings, and then simmered together with onion, bell pepper, garlic and stock. This stew is best served spooned over a bed of white rice to help soak up all those wonderful juices! Take your soup up to the next level with this scrumptious recipe.
- 13 oz cajun-style smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- (2) 24 oz containers chicken stock (48 oz total)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in the bottom of a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add in the sausage and shrimp and sauté for several minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Pour in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning and salt. Bring the stew to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the shrimp and sausage back in and allow to simmer on low for another 15-20 minutes. Serve spooned over a bed of white rice if desired.
- If you can’t find cajun sausage, then use a standard smoked sausage and add in an extra teaspoon of cajun seasoning.
- This stew re-heats wonderfully! Perfect for leftovers.