Mashed Butternut Squash is rich, creamy twist on the classic mashed potato side dish! Butternut squash is tossed with olive oil and herbs and roasted until tender and caramelized. Then, mashed together with butter and heavy cream until perfectly creamy. Each bite of this Mashed Butternut Squash is loaded full of deliciousness and warmth!
- 1 medium butternut squash, cubed, about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss together the cubed butternut squash, olive oil. seasoned salt, dried thyme and dried rosemary. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the butternut squash is tender and slightly caramelized.
- Carefully transfer the butternut squash to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed to start to break down the butternut squash for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the heavy cream and the butter and mix on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about a minute or two.
- Roasting the butternut squash adds a lot of extra flavor and depth vs. steaming or boiling the butternut squash.
- I love to serve this as a mashed potato substitute or alongside them!