Welcome to another Monthly Scoop Post – June 2020! Isn’t it crazy that the year is already halfway over? It’s flying by! June ended up being a month of recovery, delicious recipes, time spent with family and a whole lot of fishing! We’re hooked – no pun intended! Let’s jump on into a recap of all that June had in store!
June 1st ended up being my official surgery date for my endometriosis removal surgery! Whew, was it a whirlwind!
With Covid-19, I wasn’t able to find out about my official surgery date until 2 weeks before. Then, I had to get tested and self-quarantine until my surgery. It was a crazy process, but we are so grateful that John was allowed in the hospital since it was something that was up in the air!
My surgery ended up being 5 1/2 hours long, but they were able to remove all of my endometriosis! Along with my appendix as well since it had endometriosis scarring. I now have 5 incisions on my tummy and one in my belly button. I’ve gotta say, those first few days after during recovery were ROUGH. So so grateful for John and all the love, kindness and care he showed me. I turned the corner for the better about 5 days after my surgery and have been shocked since of how quickly and well I’ve been feeling physically! My surgeon said its funny because women can either have a better or worse recovery than their first surgery – I’m very thankful for the physical recovery I’ve had.
Since it is now July 1, it’s officially been a month since my surgery! That means, I can very slowly start to incorporate exercise back into my routine! I also won’t have a weight limit any longer, so I’m looking forward to start moving more.
After taking a poll on Instagram, it sounds like 99% of you are interested in learning more about endometriosis, what it looks like and what the surgery process is like. So – I will be putting together a complete blog post on my endometriosis journey! Keep your eyes peeled :). I’ll be including everything from my personal experience, to my surgeries, what I’ve learned, what I’m doing now and where I go from here.
Thank you all for all of your kind words and prayers during my surgery and recovery – you guys are seriously the best!
Other than my surgery and recovery, June has been a pretty low-key month focused on simple things! Which is 100% ok with me.
John and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary – did you know that we got married when I was 19 and he was 20? We started dating freshman year in high school and have been together since! Our anniversary this year looked a little different as it was only 5 days after my surgery – the highlight was getting out of the house to go for a drive. It’s the simple things!
One of our new favorite things to do together is fishing! Fishing is something that we’ve both always enjoyed, but man this year officially got us hooked together! He got me a new fishing pole and reel as an early birthday present and that is perfectly fine with me :). Check out some of our catches!
Since I had my surgery June 1st, all the recipes shared in June were actually prepared and photographed in advance in May! I knew I wasn’t going to be feeling up to cooking and photographing, so it was nice to have some recipes to still be able to share with you all! The recipes shared were focused on simplicity, deliciousness and just downright fun. As always, I strived to create fun, delicious recipes with easily accessible ingredients that you feel comfortable making in your own kitchen. Click on your favorite recipe below and get to cookin’! If you make any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you! Shoot me an email, post a comment or share on social media tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany!
- Fishing – as I stated above, we are hooked! It’s now one of our favorite things to do together. We are blessed to have a couple private ponds around us to be able to fish – we can just jump in the truck and go!
- The Homecook Takeover Week – the first week in June was dedicated to the amazing homecooks making it work every day in their own kitchen to get dinner on the table! 8 amazing gals took on The Homecook Takeover Week to make a recipe in their own kitchen and post videos/behind the scenes of how they adapt the recipe for their kitchen and family. It was SO fun to get to see these ladies in action in their own kitchens! Should we make this a yearly thing? If you missed out, don’t worry! I saved them all in a highlight reel on my Instagram page.
- Trader Joe’s Finds – I snagged their guacamole cups in the pre-made refrigerated food section and HOLY GUACAMOLE they are good! Definitely a fun snack to have on hand!
- Frito’s & Cottage Cheese – don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. My mom got me hooked, now I’ve gotten John hooked. You just won’t be able to eat Frito’s without some cottage cheese once you’ve tried it!
- Gilmore Girls – we’re back at it again binge watching all the seasons. It’s just a good “feel-good” show to have on! What are your favorite shows you’re loving lately?
- Teva Flip Flops – Holy smokes I didn’t know how much I needed a new, good pair of flip flops until I got these! They are SO comfortable and easy to slip on for any ocassion. Perfect for summer!
- Everyday Shorts – I’m always on the hunt for a good, comfortable pair of shorts that are easy to just slip on and go. By golly, these definitely fit the bill! AND, they have super deep pockets! I love the longer inseam to cover your bum, drawstring to be able to tighten or loosen and that they don’t have a panty liner sewn into them. They’re a winner in my book! I recommend sizing up for ultimate comfort.
First off, I can’t believe that it’s July already! We’ll be celebrating the Fourth of July low-key this year along with my birthday – I like to keep it pretty simple! Just give me some cake and I’ll be happy. But, I’m excited to get back into the kitchen! I’ve been brainstorming loads of recipe ideas, so get ready for it! What are some of your favorite summer recipes?