Tater Tot Turkey Enchilada Skillet is a fun, delicious dinner recipe! Ground turkey and black beans are simmered in a scrumptious enchilada sauce, topped with a generous amount of cheese, tater tots and baked until perfectly crispy and cheesy. Each bite is loaded with cheesy tater tots and a fun turkey enchilada filling! A one-skillet meal that gets dinner on the table in a flash.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (10 oz) cans red enchilada sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 32 oz bag of tater tots – depending on the size of your skillet/baking pan you’ll use 3/4 to a full bag of tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large, oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté for a couple minutes. Add in the ground turkey and chopped garlic and sauté until completely cooked through and slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Making sure to break apart the ground turkey so clumps don’t form.
- Pour in the enchilada sauce, black beans and tomato paste and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Evenly top the enchilada filling with the shredded cheese, then arrange the tater tots on top of that. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!
- If you don’t have ground turkey, you can use ground beef or ground chicken instead!
- Serve this with sour cream, avocado/guac, salsa, cilantro, or fresh tomatoes if desired.
- To make this in advance as a freezer meal, make the enchilada filling as instructed and then transfer it to a freezer-safe baking dish/foil baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese, tater tots, cover and freeze. You will need to double your baking time.