Homestyle Cheddar Biscuits are everything a biscuit should be! Buttery, flaky and speckled with cheddar cheese – you really can’t go wrong! Pulling one of these Homestyle Cheddar Biscuits apart and spreading a pad of butter on or dunking into your favorite stew is dream-like. We couldn’t keep our hands off of these!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons depending on how the dough comes together
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Add in the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until a gravely texture forms, being careful to not melt or over-work the butter. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Starting with 3/4 cup of milk, fold it into the dry ingredients. If it is still too dry or not coming together at all, add in one tablespoon of milk at a time until it does. You want a loose dough. Be careful to not over-work. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently form into a ball.
- Lightly flour your rolling pin and roll the dough out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. Use a knife or a 2-inch wide, round cookie cutter to cut your biscuits. Gently fold the scraps back on top of each other and roll out again and cut more biscuits. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Transfer the biscuits to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the melted butter. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the biscuits are light and fluffy. Enjoy!
- Make sure to keep your cold ingredients cold – this will help to have a light and fluffy biscuit!
- You can use a mild or sharp cheddar cheese.
- Let the biscuits cool completely before transferring them to an air-tight container for leftovers.