Cajun Chicken Pasta is the chicken pasta dish of your dreams! Tender pieces of chicken are seared until golden brown in Cajun seasoning, then simmered in a decadent, creamy sauce packed full of flavor. Toss it all together with some bowtie pasta and you have a delicious chicken dinner! My husband, John, said that this is now rated his number one favorite chicken dish that I’ve made – it’s pretty darn tasty! Whip up a batch of this Cajun Chicken Pasta for yourself and see what the fuss is all about!
Combining the classic chicken pasta flavors with bright, zesty Cajun seasoning really is the way to go. The decadently creamy sauce is the perfect for balancing out the heat and full flavor of the Cajun seasoning. It’s the best of both worlds!
Making the Cajun Chicken Pasta:
Not only is this Cajun Chicken Pasta packed full of flavor, but it comes together without a lot of hassle! Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Toss the cubed chicken with Cajun seasoning and sear until golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Use the same skillet to make the sauce – you only have to dice a couple veggies!
- Submerge the chicken back into the sauce to simmer.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water, drain.
- Combine the pasta in with the sauce and toss until competely coated!
You’ll have dinner on the table ready to go in no time.
What Pasta Shape to Use:
Another thing that is so great about this dish, is that you can easily customize it. Don’t have bowtie pasta on hand? That’s ok! You could easily make this with rigatoni, penne, elbow, cavatappi, egg noodles or even spaghetti or linguine! I think the bowties are pretty darn cute, though, and it’s very convienient to fit everything in one bite on a fork at a time.
Cajun Chicken Pasta is perfect for any weeknight dinner, date night, meal-prep, or even for entertaining guests. It’s a one-stop chicken dish that you need to have up your sleeve! I highly recommend serving it with a side of my Super Simple Garlic Bread. You can never go wrong with a little garlic bread!
Cajun Chicken Pasta is the chicken pasta dish of your dreams! Tender pieces of chicken are seared until golden brown in Cajun seasoning, then simmered in a decadent, creamy sauce packed full of flavor. Toss it all together with some bowtie pasta and you have a delicious chicken dinner!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 pound Farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, gently toss the chicken together with 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning until completely coated. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Working in batches to not over-crowd the pan, sear the chicken pieces for a couple minutes on all sides, or until golden brown. Do not worry about cooking the chicken all the way through at this point. Once seared, transfer to a plate for later use.
- In that same skillet, add in the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for a couple minutes, avoiding any browning or burning. Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning and combine. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and stir to combine. Add in the heavy cream, chicken stock and cream cheese.
- Reduce the heat to low and bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the cream cheese is melted into the sauce. Add the chicken back into the sauce and allow to simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain. When the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken is cooked through, add the pasta into the sauce and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chopped green onion or parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- If you want some extra heat, add in 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper at a time until desired heat level is reached.
- If your sauce gets too thick after simmering, add in 1/2 cup of additional chicken stock until desired consistency is achieved.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of the chicken breasts if desired.
- This pasta makes great leftovers and reheats very nicely!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!