Fresh Blueberry Muffins are a classic blueberry muffin studded with juicy blueberries and swirled with bright lemon zest. After you bite through the crunchy, sugar topping, you are met with flavors that make you want to close your eyes and dance! These muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a midnight snack.
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Greek yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the 1 cup of sugar and whisk to combine until pale in color, about a minute or so.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet mixture until all the ingredients are combined and a batter has formed, being careful to not over-mix. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour until coated. Leaving the excess flour in the small bowl, add the blueberries along with the lemon zest to the muffin batter. Gently fold the blueberries and lemon zest in until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with liners and fill each one 3/4 of the way full with the muffin batter. Evenly top each muffin with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, about 1/2 teaspoon or so per each muffin top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown and the muffins are cooked through. Allow to cool for several minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
- These muffins store wonderfully! Make sure they are completely cooled, then store in an air-tight container or bag for a few days of a perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack!