When I say “Epic Tomato Soup Sauce”, you probably have a blank stare on your face, but let me tell you all about it! Epic Tomato Soup Sauce is a tomato soup so good that it also equals as a sauce to use in place of any jarred pasta sauce. Or, it’s a sauce so good that it can be eaten as a soup! Either way, you need to have this simple, yet decadent recipe in your recipe box!
The secret ingredient to this wonderful tomato soup sauce is (drumroll, please) BUTTER. Just like everything else that is right in the world, butter does the trick! The soup sauce simmers low and slow with a few, simple ingredients to make it taste like you’ve been slaving over it all day long, when it only took you 45 minutes! How much better can it get?
You can whip up a batch of this Epic Tomato Soup Sauce to serve with your favorite grilled cheese, toss with some pasta or tortellini, or simmer with your favorite meatball recipe! Any way you serve it, it will be delicious!Print
Epic Tomato Soup Sauce
Epic Tomato Soup Sauce is a tomato soup so good that it also equals as a sauce to use in place of any jarred pasta sauce. Or, it’s a sauce so good that it can be eaten as a soup! Either way, you need to have this simple, yet decadent recipe in your recipe box!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 7 cups / 6-7 servings 1x
- 2 – 29oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a medium stock pot, combine the tomato sauce, onion, butter and basil. Bring it to a low boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for at least 45 minutes. If you have more time, you can allow the soup sauce to simmer very low for 1-2 hours as well.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato soup sauce until smooth and velvety. Serve immediately or allow to cool completely and store in the refrigerator for later use.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully ladle or pour the soup sauce into a standard blender or food processor to blend until smooth.
- This tomato soup sauce can be served with so many things! Either dish it up as a tomato soup (we love ours with a grilled cheese and roasted veggies!). Or, sub it in place of any recipe that you would use a jarred pasta sauce.