Lasagna Soup is basically what dreams are made of. It’s currently snowing horizontally here and I could not think of a better dish to snuggle up on the couch with! Think of all the wonderful, memory-filled flavors of a classic lasagna in a soup that is perfect for dunking a hunk of chunky bread in. The lasagna noodles are smothered in a rich, decadent sauce that has been slow cooked to perfection. Top if off with some fresh basil, parmesan cheese and a scoop of ricotta and you have the makings of a perfect Lasagna Soup.
This soup really is a one-pot meal, as everything is simmered in one pot to make a delicious, easy clean-up soup that everyone will want to dig into. I sure didn’t mind having leftovers of this one! You can easily heat up the leftover Lasagna Soup, or pour the leftovers into a baking dish, top it with cheese and bake it for a re-constructed Lasagna Soup Lasagna. Ya feel me? I’m just thinking about all that gooey, melty cheese that would crust over on the top. Leftovers are never a bad idea!
This meal will bring back all of the nostalgic memories of lasagna in a simple, soup form. You’ll definitely want a piece of crispy bread to dunk into this one!
Think of all the wonderful, memory-filled flavors of a classic lasagna in a soup that is perfect for dunking a hunk of chunky bread in. The lasagna noodles are smothered in a rich, decadent sauce that has been slow cooked to perfection. Top if off with some fresh basil, parmesan cheese and a scoop of ricotta and you have the makings of a perfect Lasagna Soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 – 29 oz cans tomato sauce
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 lb lasagna noodles (about 10 lasagna noodles) broken into 1-inch pieces
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Ricotta cheese for topping
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until slightly translucent, about a few minutes. Add in the ground hamburger and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, salt and crushed red pepper flakes until combined. Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken stock and stir to combine all of the ingredients. Bring the soup to a boil and then add in the lasagna noodles and stir to combine. Reduce the heat slightly and let the noodles simmer in the sauce until they are al dente, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the grated parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese on top. Chopped fresh basil and a baguette are also great toppings and sides!