I say that if you make anything into a donut form its going to be fun and delicious. That’s even coming from me, someone who hasn’t always been a donut fan due to the unhealthy factor of them. Well, by golly, make baked donuts and you eliminate the frying factor! You can have the best of both worlds. These Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts are bursting with fresh blueberries and brightened by sweet lemon zest. Drizzle them with a lemon scented, white chocolate ganache and they will disappear before your eyes!
It is always such a great feeling when you can make people happy with food, especially your family and friends around you! My husband and sister couldn’t keep their hands off of these Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts and that is how you know they are family-approved. Sometimes your mess-ups in the kitchen can turn out to be a great thing! These Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts started out as a muffin recipe, but quickly turned into a bundt cake recipe when I realized I had no muffin liners. I then overcooked the bundt cake and it was so dry it fell apart. Take two with the recipe on the next day, and the muffin liners I had bought didn’t fit my muffin tins (seriously?!), so I pulled the donut pan out of the cupboards and it was a perfect match. Why didn’t I just think to make donuts in the first place? Moral of the story: donuts are always a good option.
The lemon scented, white chocolate ganache that you drizzle over the top of these Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts give them the perfect glaze that you would find on an original glazed donut. After the ganache sets, it keeps it’s form and creates a slight shell, but is sticky and gooey once you bite in. You know how your fingers are always covered in sticky glaze after eating a classic glazed donut? Get ready for the same effect.
Not only are these baked donuts bursting with flavor, but they are also fairly quick and easy to whip up! The batter will be slightly thick, so when you are piping it into the donut pan patience is key. Trust me, the end result is to die for! Bake these up for a delicious breakfast, brunch or even dessert! How fun would these be if you put a big, ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle of the donut and then drizzled them with the white chocolate ganache? Ok, I’m going to have to try that now.
These Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts are bursting with fresh blueberries and brightened by sweet lemon zest. Drizzle them with a lemon scented, white chocolate ganache and they will disappear before your eyes!
For the donuts:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white chocolate melting chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the sugar. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest and whisk to combine. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a donut baking pan and fill each donut tin 3/4 of the way full with the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for a couple minutes in the pan before turning the donuts onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Heat the heavy cream over low heat in a small sauce pan until it just starts to simmer. Whisk in the white chocolate melting chips until melted and smooth. Evenly top each donut with the prepared ganache. Let the ganache set for several minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!