Soup is good for the soul, Sweet Potato Taco Soup that is. It’s officially 2018 and winter is in full effect! With all the cold and negative temperatures going around, a big bowl of hearty, healthy soup with just the right amount of heat is needed.
I love how this soup is loaded with flavor and goodies. And guess what? It’s good for you too! Make this for an easy weeknight dinner, when you’re feeling the sniffles come on, or just when you need a hearty meal. Top it off with a dollop of sour cream, grab a bag of chips and dig in! And cheese… you always need cheese.
Simmer this soup away on the stove top, or brown the hamburger and then dump all of the ingredients into a slow cooker and let it do it’s own thing. Isn’t soup season just the best? You can clean out your refrigerator or cupboard and usually come up with a delicious concoction. This Sweet Potato Taco Soup is also perfect for meal planning! A batch can last a couple days for two people, or double it if you need to feed multiple people over a few days!
All the wonderful flavor of a taco in a bowl. What could be better?
All the wonderful flavors a taco are wrapped up in this warm and inviting soup. Sweet potatoes add a natural sweetness to balance the heat from the green chili’s. This soup will warm you from the inside out!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 7 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 – 32oz containers chicken stock
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In the bottom of a stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the ground beef and saute until browned, about another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, diced tomatoes, green chilies and chicken stock and black beans. Stir to combine. Add in the cubed sweet potato, chili powder and chopped garlic and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer on a low boil for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender and cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions and tortilla chips.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!