I still can’t believe that Thanksgiving is already less than two weeks away! All the Christmas decor is out in stores already and I am making myself hold off until Thanksgiving comes through. It’s hard to resist! Just like this Apple Berry Crisp is hard to resist! I may have already eaten most of it myself…
If you are looking for the perfect dessert this holiday season that is hassle-free and delicious, look no further! This Apple Berry Crisp could even take the place of a pie this year on your table. Let’s face it, making a pie can be somewhat of a daunting task (although well worth it), but this Apple Berry Crisp can come to your rescue any day. Toss the ingredients together, tuck it away in a warm oven, forget about it for an hour or so and then you are all set to scoop some vanilla ice cream on top and pass the plates around.
A bonus to go along side this delicious and simple dessert is that your house will smell amazing. Queue all of the Fall and holiday candle smells and you didn’t even have to light a single one of them. This can also be made in advance and reheated prior to serving. Piece of cake. I think it makes an excellent leftover breakfast option as well.
The topping is always one of the best parts. It gets all sorts of the good kind of crunchy and almost forms a cookie-like crust. Break that puppy open to reveal ooey-gooey goodness inside.
Apple Berry Crisp is filled with vibrant blueberries, fresh apples and warm cinnamon. This wonderful, gooey filling is topped off with a crunchy, buttery topping that will make you keep going back for more.
For the filling:
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 oz fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the filling and toss to coat and combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients for the topping. Using either a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands, combine the butter into the dry ingredients until a course, pebble-like consistency forms. It should be able to mold together if squeezed in your hand.
- Using a 9-inch pie plate, pour the filling ingredients into the bottom and spread to an even layer. Pour the topping on top of the filling and spread in an even layer as well. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the topping is slightly browned and the filling is gooey and cooked through.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!