With my mom having grown a plethora of butternut squash in her garden this year (over 100 of them!), we just needed to get some spiralized! The butternut squash curls into the most perfect noodles and coils to take the place of any regular pasta. They are just too fun! Toss them together with some fresh veggies, plump shrimp and a homemade sesame sauce and you have a winner of a stir fry dish.
The vibrant colors and fresh flavors of this dish can’t be beat. You won’t even miss having real noodles! The butternut squash noodles have a hearty texture that will leave you full and satisfied, yet feeling like you just ate a spinach and kale salad. But you didn’t just eat a spinach and kale salad, you had butternut squash, crispy snap peas, vibrant bell peppers and protein-packed shrimp tossed together with a noteworthy sauce.
Not only is this dish healthy and colorful, but it is so tasty that you can have your family and friends gobbling it up in front of you! And to make it even better, this stir fry can be ready to go in 30 minutes. Talk about a great weeknight meal to toss together! But wait, there’s more. Because the butternut squash is so hearty, this meal stands up so well to being kept in the refrigerator for a couple days and reheated. Saute up a batch of this butternut squash noodle stir fry and have the perfect meal prep for the rest of the week!
This stir fry dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal, a healthy lunch idea, or a meal prep option to get you through the week. Spiralizing is a fun task to do, so have your kiddos, family or friends help you out to make it go even quicker! If you don’t have access to a spiralizer or good butternut squash, you can find pre-spiralized butternut squash noodles in most grocery stores these days.
The butternut squash curls into the most perfect noodles and coils to take the place of any regular pasta. They are just too fun! Toss them together with some fresh veggies, plump shrimp and a homemade sesame sauce and you have a winner of a stir fry dish.
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and with the bulb/bowl end of the squash set aside for another use (you will only be able to spiralize the “neck” of the squash)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 oz snap peas
- 16 oz raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Spiralize the butternut squash using the smaller noodle setting on the spiralizer. You can use the large noodle setting, but will need to adjust the cooking time of the noodles as they will take longer to cook.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in the shrimp and cook until they are just cooked through and turn pink, about a couple minutes on each side. Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper and remove from the pan for later use.
- Add the butternut squash noodles to the pan and saute them for 5-8 minutes, or until they just start to cook through. Add in the snap peas and red bell peppers and saute for several minutes more, or until the peppers start to become softer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin, soy sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and honey until combined. Pour the sauce over the butternut squash noodles and veggies in the saute pan and toss to coat. Add the shrimp back into the pan and toss again to combine. Cover the stir fry with a lid to steam the noodles for a few minutes. Remove the lid and serve the stir fry when the butternut squash noodles have reached desired texture. If you prefer them to be less crunchy and more soft, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue the saute process until they reach a firmness you desire.
Share the love!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as I do, I’d love to hear from you! Comment below, rate the recipe, or share a picture tagging @kjandcompany or using #kjandcompany so that I can see your fun pictures 🙂
Thanks for following and cooking along with me!