Imagine your hands wrapped around a nice, warm mug of velvety hot cocoa with gooey marshmallows floating on top. Take all of those sights, smells and flavors and put them in a cookie! Hot Cocoa Cookies are loaded with all the reminiscent flavors of hot cocoa. A rich cookie base studded with melted chocolate chips is met with gooey mini marshmallows. I finished them by dusting a little cocoa over the top. Perfect for any cold weather baking, midnight treats, Christmas cookie exchange or just to have around.
Snuggle up on the couch with a batch of these Hot Cocoa Cookies. Meanwhile, sip on a mug of cocoa! Or definitely have a glass of milk nearby. I don’t think Santa would mind having these cookies, either.
Most importantly, you can let your mind wander and relax when you bake cookies. You don’t have to be consumed on the itty bitty details. If you burn a batch, you have more dough to redeem yourself with on the next round! I may or may not have done just that. To get the gooey marshmallow effect, make sure you follow the directions on placing the mini marshmallows on top of the cookies halfway through the cooking process. Putting the marshmallows on top of the cookies right away will cause them to brown and melt all over the place. We’re aiming for the hot cocoa soaked gooey marshmallow effect on these cookies.
Whip up a batch of these Hot Cocoa Cookies to share with a crowd, or just for yourself to watch a Christmas movie with. Either way, it’s hard to have any of these leftover! John went as far to say that these cookies are “a total knockout”. You need them.Print
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Imagine your hands wrapped around a nice, warm mug of velvety hot cocoa with gooey marshmallows floating on top – now put all of that into a cookie! Hot Cocoa Cookies are full of all the chocolate and marshmallow goodness that you grew up sipping on in a warm mug. A rich cookie base studded with melted chocolate chips is met with gooey mini marshmallows and a dust of cocoa on top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 standard packet of hot cocoa for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about a couple minutes. Add in one egg at a time until completely combined, making sure to wipe down the sides of the bowl in between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. With the mixer speed on low, add the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture until completely combined and a dough forms. Use a rubber spatula to fold the chocolate chips into the batter until combined.
- Scoop the dough onto a non-greased baking sheet using a rounded tablespoon scoop. Place the dough balls a couple inches apart. Bake for 5-6 minutes and then remove the cookies from the oven. Gently place 4-5 mini marshmallows on top of each half-baked cookie. Put the cookies back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cookies have set and the marshmallows are just softened and slightly melted. Remove from the oven.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the sheet pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to continue to cool. Best eaten when still slightly warm, but still delicious after completely cooled! Repeat this process until all the dough has been used.