The fact that I’ve made these Salted Peanut Butter Scotcharoos three times in the past couple weeks just speaks for itself! Bring back all of your childhood memories in one bite of these Salted Peanut Butter Scotcharoos. A chewy, peanut butter crispy cereal base is topped with decadent, melted dark chocolate and butterscotch chips and then lightly speckled with flaky salt to kick the flavors up a notch.
One of the best things about this dessert, besides biting into one of them, is how simple they are to make! No baking required for this quick and scrumptious dessert recipe. They are a great for feeding a crowd, or just to have on hand. You could make them in advance and not even have to worry about dessert!
I could get lost in the chocolatey-butterscotch swirls on top of the peanut butter crispy. The combination of dark chocolate and butterscotch is one of my favorites. I have to try hard to not eat all the chips before they are melted. What can I say? It’s a perfect combination!Print
Salted Peanut Butter Scotcharoos
Bring back all of your childhood memories in one bite of these Salted Peanut Butter Scotcharoos. A chewy, peanut butter crispy cereal base is topped with decadent, melted dark chocolate and butterscotch chips and then lightly speckled with flaky salt to kick the flavors up a notch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 16 oz marshmallows, regular-sized
- 7 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 10 oz dark chocolate chips
- 11 oz butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon flaky salt
- In a large, deep pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add in the marshmallows and stir to coat them with the melted butter. Melt the marshmallows on low heat until smooth, stirring consistently. Add in the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the puffed rice cereal until it is completely combined with the marshmallow mixture. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and press the mixture into an even layer in the pan with a rubber spatula.
- In a medium/large microwave-safe bowl, heat the dark chocolate and butterscotch chips together in 15-20 second increments, stirring with a spoon after each time, until they are melted smoothly together. Be careful to not over-microwave them as it will cause them to clump up instead of being smooth. It is best to under-microwave the chips and stir them until they are completely melted than to over-microwave. About 45 seconds – 1 minute combined max.
- Evenly spread the chocolate/butterscotch mixture over the top of the peanut butter crispy bottom. Sprinkle the top of the melted chocolate and butterscotch evenly with the flaky salt. Let the Salted Peanut Butter Scotcharoos set for at least 2-3 hours prior to cutting and serving.
- If you like more salt, then you can easily use more than just a tablespoon – its up to you!
- If you are making these a day in advance prior to serving, let the melted chocolate/butterscotch cool and set for about 2-3 hours prior to covering the pan with plastic wrap. Store in a cool, dry place but do not refrigerate.