Ok, do I really need to say anything more if this banana bread loaf is drizzled and topped of with a Nutella glaze?! I mean, you can never go wrong with Nutella! If you know me, my all-time favorite dessert, hands-down, no matter what is Nutella and bananas, or ‘tella and ‘nanas as I like to call it. Bananas and Nutella are just a whimsical match made in heaven.
PS: this post is in no way sponsored by Nutella (but how awesome would that be?!) I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH.
I’m the only one in our household who eats bananas, because John hates them and I think its super weird. So, whenever I have some extra bananas lying around that are getting too ripe, banana bread it is! One of my favorite banana bread recipes is my Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins with Dark Chocolate. But sometimes you need a good old-fashioned banana bread loaf, and that is where this Banana Bread with Nutella Glaze comes in.
You want to know whats so great about this banana bread recipe besides how wonderful each bite is? Well, let me tell you. It can be breakfast, dessert or a daytime snack. It’s just that good. By golly, if you want to fancy this up and make it into a dessert, top a warm piece of the Banana Bread with Nutella Glaze with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and dive on in! Or, you can keep it on the traditional breakfast route and slice it up for breakfast. Toss in some fresh fruit such as bananas, strawberries, raspberries or blueberries and you have yourself a complete meal to fuel your day.
Either way you slice it, this banana bread is sure to not disappoint. When you are making the batter, you can choose how much you would like to mush up your bananas. Since John doesn’t like bananas and I have to try to hide them as much as possible if I cook with them, I blended them pretty well as there are no banana chunks in the bread. If you are a banana fan, mix it up however you please.
Banana Bread with Nutella Glaze
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, about a couple minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add in one egg at time, making sure to wipe down the edges between each addition. Add in the ripe bananas and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer speed on low, slowly add in the flour mixture to the banana mixture until the batter is just combined. Wipe down the edges to insure that it is all combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes – 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the top/center comes out clean. Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes prior to removing.
- While the banana bread is cooling, pour the heavy cream into a small sauce pan over low heat. Slowly bring to a very low simmer, avoiding any boiling, and then whisk in the Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread until smooth, about a couple minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Using the parchment paper liner, carefully remove the banana bread from the loaf pan. Drizzle the whole loaf with the Nutella glaze, or slice and drizzle each slice with the glaze. Enjoy!