Happy National Cookie Day! As cliche as this sounds, I totally did not even plan this out! I guess just making cookies on a whim and it happens to be National Cookie Day is just a gift. I’ll take it. It is cookie season, after all! My husband is a big time rocky road fanatic (like rocky road everything), so I knew I needed to create a cookie just for him. Rocky Road Cookies are ready to rock and roll!
These cookies all the perfect amounts of fudgy, to nutty, to creamy from the marshmallow topping. Dip one of these delicious Rocky Road Cookies into a tall glass of milk and you won’t be disappointed!
I was so excited when these little beauties came out of the oven, it was hard to let them cool enough to eat! Topping the cookies off with some mini mallows is a fun, little touch to set these cookies apart from any average joe. These cookies would be the perfect, chocolate touch to any Christmas cookie exchange. You can never go wrong with chocolate!
These Rocky Road Cookies are the perfect thing to bake away in your oven while you dance around listening to Christmas music, or while watching Home Alone for the first time (no judgement – I’d seen the second one but not the first!).
Rocky Road Cookies
makes 20 cookies
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts or almonds
- Mini marshmallows for topping, about 5 per cookie
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes on medium speed. Reduce the speed to low and add in one egg at a time, making sure to scrape down the edges of the bowl in between each addition. Add in the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until completely combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cookie dough onto a non-greased cookie sheet. Spacing each one a couple inches apart. Bake the cookies for 5 minutes and then remove from the oven. Quickly top each cookie with about 5 mini marshmallows, and gently press them in to prevent from rolling off the cookie. Return the cookies back to the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are cooked through and the marshmallows are melted and slightly golden.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!