Ok, so this sheet pan dinner may have a long name, but I promise that it takes half the effort of writing it out! It’s such a wonderful thing when you can just put dinner in oven and forget about it for an hour. That’s right – these veggies and Italian sausage medallions get roasted for a full hour until they are caramelized and all sorts of delicious. Just think of everything else that you can do during that time!
If you want to serve it up on the creamy polenta (which you just need to do!), then you will need to just use about 20 minutes of that hour to whip it up. The recipe calls for regular corn grits/polenta instead of the instant polenta. Don’t be alarmed by this process, though, because you will be a polenta queen after you make this batch of creamy goodness. Follow the simple steps to perfection and you are there. Voila!
This is the perfect meal for a hassle-free weeknight dinner, having friends or family over (serve it up family-style and dig in!), or when you are just in the need for a good meal. It’s also a fun way to sneak in a lot of veggies into one delicious meal! Everything is better when topped with cheese, so a good sprinkle of Parmesan cheese never hurt anyone. This sheet pan dinner is also very flexible as it can adjust to whatever you have on hand. You could swap the sweet potatoes out for regular potatoes, the broccoli for cauliflower, onions for bell peppers, and the list could go on!
Serve up this sheet pan dinner and you will draw a crowd with no leftovers to spare. Although, leftovers would be quite delicious the next day warmed up or even for breakfast with an over-easy egg on top…a girl can dream!
Roasted Sheet Pan Veggies with Italian Sausage and Creamy Polenta
Serves 4 adult portions
- 4 cups broccoli florets (approx. 2 heads of broccoli)
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (approx. 1 med/large sweet potato), peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 19 oz mild Italian sausage links (about 5 links) cut into 3/4 inch rounds
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups polenta/corn grits
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, toss together the broccoli, sweet potato and red onion with the olive oil and seasoned salt.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the veggies in an even layer on the baking sheet. Nestle the Italian sausage rounds on top of the veggies in an even layer. Roast the veggies and Italian sausage for 55-60 minutes, or until caramelized, browned and cooked through.
- While the sheet pan is in the oven, bring the water to a boil in a deep pot over high heat. Slowly stir the polenta into the boiling water to make sure that it does not clump together. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let the polenta cook on low with a lid for about 10 minutes, stirring a few times in between to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After about 10 minutes, reduce the heat even lower (if you can) to a simmer. Stir in the milk and sour cream until combined. Leave the lid on and let the creamy polenta cook on a low simmer for at least another 10 minutes or until ready to be served. If you have a few extra minutes before serving, the polenta can be left on the stovetop with the lid on and the heat off and will hold up nicely.
- Serve the roasted veggies and Italian sausage over the creamy polenta with Parmesan cheese as a garnish. Enjoy!